Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Pigging Out Without Looking Porky






A ketogenic lifestyle isn't for everyone, and there is plenty of skepticism from mis-informed people about the safety of such a way of eating. I have done my research (and continue to do so), and I believe (and my body tells me) that the lifestyle is not only perfectly safe (when done correctly), but that my body is thriving on it! 

Maria Emmerich wrote a great post this week that clears up many of the misconceptions about ketogenic diets. I highly recommend you give it a read! 

As for my own results... 



The picture on the left was taken 10 days after I started. I'd lost 6 lbs at that point. The picture on the right was taken 2 weeks later. I'm only 2 lbs lighter than in the first pic, but I can see A LOT of change in my body. My waist, abs, hip bones, and neck are more defined, and my jawline is tighter (hallelujah!). I exercised very little over these two weeks, so I heavily credit the changes to my well-formulated ketogenic eating habits!

Three cheers for a nutrition plan that lets me skip my workout, lose weight, feel great, and...

Eat like dis.


Pork Loin & Tenderloin With Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin and Braised Cabbage With Green Beans & Bacon 

The perfect meal for when you want something to feed your soul and stick to your ribs.




ALL the pork. Two half-pound, 2" thick porterhouse chops, and two baby chops (stacked, for the kiddos). 

Get in my snout.

*For chops this size, it's important to season them generously with salt the day before you plan to cook them - this will act kind of like a dry brine and help season the pork all the way through the thick cut. 

Ingredients

for the pork

1 1/2 - 2lbs bone-in pork chops
coconut oil
steak seasoning

Preheat the oven to 425F, and line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silpat. Also, preheat a large skillet over medium to medium high heat. Rub the chops down on both sides with coconut oil, then season all sides with your favorite steak seasoning.  Working with 2 chops at a time (so as not to overcrowd the pan), sear the chops well on each side, about 5 minutes for the first side and 4 for the second. Remove from skillet and reserve on prepared sheet pan. Repeat for remaining chops. When all the chops are seared, place them in the preheated oven and continue cooking until the meatiest parts of the chops register 155F. Remove from oven and allow to rest 5 minutes (the carryover heat will bring them to 160F). 

for the cauliflower gratin

1 head cauliflower, stemmed and cut into medium-sized pieces
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs mayo
1 oz cream cheese
8 oz shredded cheese, divided

Prepare a large microwave-safe dish with a cover by layering two paper towels in the bottom (and up the sides) of the dish. Place the cauliflower in the paper towels, season generally with salt, then put a a third paper towel on top. Cover with the lid, and microwave for about 18 minutes (or until fork tender). Carefully remove the lid and top paper towel, then remove the cauliflower to another vessel. Remove the wet paper towels and any excess liquid from the bowl. Add the butter, mayo, cream cheese, and half of the shredded cheese to the bowl and mix well. Add the cooked cauliflower to the mixture, and mix/mash to combine. If your bowl is oven safe, you can spread the cauliflower evenly and top with the rest of the cheese, otherwise transfer it to an oven safe casserole and follow the same steps. Bake in a 425 degree oven until bubbly and the cheese is melted, or just broil for a couple of minutes to brown the top. (Or skip the oven completely and just microwave until the cheese melts.)

for the cabbage

1/2 a head of cabbage, stemmed and chopped (about 4 cups)
4 thick slices bacon, chopped
couple handfuls of fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
salt and pepper
crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Place the bacon in a deep skillet or in a soup pot. Turn on the heat to med-low and cook until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp. Add the chopped cabbage and the green beans, and toss to coat. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add a sprinkle of crushed red pepper if desired. Cover the pot and cook on med-low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serves 4 (plus leftovers - *see notes)
Approximate nutrition per serving ~ 890 calories, 6 net carbs, 61g fat, 79g protein

*To keep the protein portions a little reined-in, I chose to serve some of each side of the porterhouse (about 7.25 oz per plate - more protein than I normally eat in one meal [or even on most days], but fine for my weekly macros) on each plate. I saved the rest of the meat for leftovers.

**The cauliflower made 2 extra servings; I saved the extra two for leftovers.




I feel like it's missing something... 



YES.



Much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment