Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Heaven On a Cloud



I'm constantly finding inspiration on ways to make some of my favorite non-keto dishes keto-friendly. Sometimes I don't even know I'm craving something until an image pops up on Pinterest, but once the seed is planted, I can't NOT make it!



Thus was the case with this image from Maria Mind Body Health. It's her eggs benedict with avocado hollandaise. YES, PLEASE. After a quick scan of her recipe, I knew this was a must for brunch.




I'd also been wanting to try the "cloud bread" or "oopsie bread" recipes that are all over the pinterest. Maria's recipe called for her own dairy-free version, but since I already had cream cheese on hand, I figured I go the oopsie route. I loved Maria's idea of the avocado hollandaise, and I couldn't wait to try it.

Bacon & Eggs Benedict On Cloud Bread

Ingredients

2 oz cream cheese
6 whole eggs, plus 2 egg yolks (pasteurized if you're skeered of raw egg)
8 slices uncured bacon
1 hass avocado 

Preheat the oven to 300F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.

Separate 2 of the whole eggs, placing the whites in a clean bowl and the yolks in a blender. Add the cream cheese to the blender and blend well. (You can also add any seasonings you'd like.) In the bowl, whip the whites on high for several minutes until very stiff and glossy. Add 1/3 of the whites to the blender and blend. Very gently fold the yolk mixture into the remaining egg whites until combined. Spoon the mixture into rounds on the prepared baking sheet. You should have enough batter for 4 "clouds." Bake them for 25 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack.




They look kind of like sugar cookies, but while they're substantial enough on the outside to act as a bread/bun replacement, they're soft and fluffy on the inside.

While they cook, make the avocado hollandaise. I added the avocado, 2 egg yolks, salt, pepper, a pinch of cayenne, the zest and juice of one small lime, and a splash of apple cider vinegar to my blender (I didn't even rinse out the residual cloud bread batter, because lazy). Blend well (add a little water to thin it if you want). Taste for seasoning/acidity and adjust as necessary.

Fry up your bacon and poach your eggs. (See this post for how I poach my eggs.)

Top each cloud bread with 2 slices of bacon, a poached egg, and a big dollop of hollandaise. I served mine over a bed of spinach that I wilted with some leftover hot bacon grease and a splash of vinegar.

Serves 4
Approximate nutrition per serving ~ 300 calories, 2.7 net carbs, 23g fat, 18.7g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment