Monday, May 5, 2014

Fiestur!

It's Cincur de Mayur again, which for white people means an excuse to eat spicy food and get loaded on tequila. 

This was my twist on the food from Bobby's Flay's Mexican brunch episode of Brunch at Bobby's, and it was ERMAHGERD! amazeballs good. Spicy chorizo hash with chile lime hollandaise and pickled jalapeño, fruit and veggie salad with a chile-lime-honey sauce, and sweet corn pancakes with caramelized bananas and a tangy-sweet crema. Highly suggest it. We had it for brinner/dinkfast instead of brunch. I added some baby kale to the chorizo hash for a little nutrition, pickled my own jalapeño (because I didn't want to buy a giant jar of them), used macadamia nuts instead of walnuts in the pancake sauce (because I already had them), and I subbed some different fruit in the fruit salad. I also used less heavy cream in the crema and replaced it with sour cream for a bit more tang. Greek yogurt would have been delicious, too, but I was out. The meal was rounded out with some mango margarita mimosas. And some shots of tequila... 

We had all that fun on Saturday, though. I'm celebrating the actual holiday by declaring my independence from my inner fat girl (who for the last few months has been trying to eat her way to becoming my outer fat girl). Normally my IFG only rears her chins when I have the menses, during which time I crave all things junk and particularly mass quantities of BJ's (Ben & Jerry's, duh), and as I shovel in the first bite, I exclaim, "I call period!" 

Because then the calories don't count. 

Well apparently I've been abusing that power (calling period even when the white pony has long since ridden over the horizon), because my ass and thighs are calling bullshit. So for the next few weeks, I'll be putting a chokehold on my IFG and eating much more restrictively to reset my palate and appetite. Lots of water, veggies, and plant-based proteins, and some fruits and lean animal-based proteins thrown in, too. In other words, Imma be a cranky bitch for the next couple of weeks while IFG learns her place in life (and I can stop needing an elastic waistband). My goal is to get back to the 80/20 rule - 80% of the time, I'm in charge, and 20% of the time, IFG can come out to play. For now, she's grounded. And so are my skinny jeans. 

My foodgasms, however, will remain a top priority, so don't worry your purty mouths about that. I'll be playing around in the kitchen this week with some healthy meal ideas and turning them into healthy meals that will come with a complimentary O-face.

Asian chicken soup is on the menu tonight. I'll be experimenting with shirataki noodles for the first time. We'll see if they're a guilt-free, slurpable sensation or just another limp noodle.


No comments:

Post a Comment